What are SMG’s office hours?

SMG is open Monday-Friday of each week from 8:30am to 5:30pm.  Our offices are closed on the following holidays:  Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day..  If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the office is closed on Friday.  If the holiday falls on Sunday, the office is closed on Monday.  Routine non-emergency calls received outside regular business hours will be returned by the end of the next business day.

There is an emergency phone number that is monitored 24 hrs. every day, including holidays.

Can I pay assessments, fines, etc., online?

Yes. Go to the online payments tab for information on creating an account and making a payment. You can use e-checks and credit card. You can also set up auto payments.

Where do I mail my assessments?

Payments made by check via mail or an online bill-pay service through your bank should be mailed to:

Association Name
c/o SMGmanagement of Atlanta
P. O. Box 76697
Atlanta, GA 30358

Please make sure your payment includes your name and the property address to be credited for your payment.

NSF Notice: A $50 non-sufficient funds fee is charged for all checks returned by the homeowner’s bank. The returned item will not be re-deposited.

How do I change my mailing address?

Send an email to helen@smgmgmt.com or complete the contact information sheet tab and select updated information.

How can I receive copies of Covenant Documents (CCRs, By-laws, Amendments, etc.)?

Homeowners should have received a copy at their closing. Copies can be requested by email to helen@smgmgmt.com or complete a request on the online contact us tab.

How do I contact the Management Company if I have an after-hours emergency?

For after-hours emergencies, call the SMG phone number and leave a message as to your address and type of emergency. You will be contacted within the hour.

What is a Homeowner Association (“HOA”)?

An HOA is defined as an entity comprised of homeowners residing within a particular area, whose principal purpose is to ensure the provision and maintenance of community facilities and enforcement of the various covenants and restrictions. An HOA is created when a Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (“CCR”) is recorded in local land records. Each lot and common area is subject to the CC&R. Unlike a condominium, the bylaws of the HOA may not be recorded with the CCRs.

An association helps to protect home values in the community, offers amenities for the enjoyment of owners and helps to build a sense of community. Community associations are commonly established as a non-profit corporation that is governed by a set of documents including the Articles of Incorporation, the Bylaws, and the Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCRs). Home values are maintained through the enforcement of community standards spelled out in these governing documents. Generally most standards focus on property maintenance and architectural design of the community.

The HOA is responsible for maintaining the common areas. The common areas may include the parking lots, sidewalks, green space not included within the lots, playgrounds, swimming pool and other recreation facilities. The owners will be responsible for maintaining their lots, including the landscaping within their property boundaries and the exterior of the owners’ homes. There are some HOAs where the CCR permits the HOA to assume the responsibility of the landscaping of lots. Any exterior additions, alterations or improvements on a lot undertaken by an owner usually requires advance permission from the Board.

What is a condominium?

A condominium is generally defined as a type of joint ownership of real property in which center portions of the property are commonly owned (the common elements), and other portions are individually owned (the units). A condominium is created when a declaration document, bylaws, and a condominium plat are recorded in the land records.

Each unit owner owns his/her unit, traditionally an apartment style residence, and an undivided interest in the common elements, in accordance with the unit owners’ percentage interest set forth in the declaration. Each unit has a separate parcel identification or tax identification number, but because the common elements are collectively owned, there is no separate parcel identification or tax identification number for common elements.

Who controls the Association?

Community associations are initially controlled by a Declarant, generally the developer of a specific community, who filed the recorded governing documents. Individuals are appointed by the Declarant to serve as the association’s initial Board of Directors until stated requirements have been met for transition to homeowner control and homeowner election of the Board of Directors.

Declarant/Developer…what does that mean?

Typically the Declarant and Developer are the same. The Declarant/Developer builds the community. The Declarant has the controlling authority over the governance of the Association during the development period.

Who are members of the Association?

Most community associations require mandatory membership in the association for every owner of a lot within the boundaries of the community.

Who is entitled to vote?

The verified property owner with legal title to a parcel of property (lot) within the community is entitled to vote. The Covenant documents may require that the property owner be in good standing before voting or accessing amenities.

Do I have to be a member of the Association?

Yes, in most cases membership in the HOA is mandatory. When your community was built, the association was established with legal governing documents that made your community a deed restricted community; meaning, whoever holds a deed to land in the community must comply with the governing documents. When you purchased your home, your deed to your property typically obligates you to the association as a member.

What is the purpose of the Board, and what is their role?

The Board of Directors is voted on by the owners of units within the Community (unless this is a developer controlled association still in development). The purpose of the Board is to make decisions for the Association. They are ultimately responsible for the funds and operations of the community. They approve contracts, set the budget, enforce the documents, oversee committees, etc.

What are Deed Restrictions?

Upon acceptance of a deed to property which is subject to conditions, covenants, and restrictions that “run with the land”, the owner is responsible for adherence to the provisions set forth in governing documents. These give homeowners the right of enjoyment and require compliance with specific restrictions, including the paying of HOA assessments.

Is the Association responsible for Member compliance with restrictions?

If an association member fails to comply with any condition, covenant, restriction or rules and regulations, the association Board of Directors is authorized to require compliance with Covenant documents. Specific policies and procedures are established to accomplish violation notification, penalties and legal enforcement.

What are governing documents?

Governing documents are recorded legal documents which may include Articles of Incorporation, Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CCRs), Bylaws, and any Amendments that determine the structure of an association and establish obligations and responsibilities of its members and elected officers and directors.

Are governing documents received by each Association member?

Copies of governing documents are provided at the closing by the attorney or title company when a purchase transaction is completed.

What is a Closing Letter?

When a property subject to a mandatory association is being sold or refinanced, the mortgage company requires certain documentation regarding assessments and other types of disclosures. The cost for preparation of the closing letter by the management company is usually paid by the seller.

What records of the Association are open to members?

Usually, records, contracts, financials, etc., are open to the members for inspection. The homeowner must provide a written request to the Board to inspect the records. The documents can be reviewed in the management office, but the HOA can charge reasonable copying costs for copies of documents.

Is the Association annual budget published? How can I get a copy of it?

Each year, a copy of the budget summary is normally placed in the first billing statement for that year, typically the January notice. It may also be distributed at the annual HOA meeting.

What is common area?

The term common area is generally used to describe all elements within the community that are owned and maintained by the association. These areas are dedicated to the shared use and enjoyment of all owners.

What is a Master Association?

Large scale planned communities establish a “Master Association” that is responsible for governing the entire community. Individual neighborhoods within a large planned community may also be governed additionally by a separate Sub Association.

Are architectural modifications or property improvements allowed?

In order to preserve the aesthetic quality of a community, prior approval of any exterior alteration, modification, or addition to individual property is required. Forms to request Architectural/Landscape changes can be requested from SMG.

What does SMG do for me?

Your Board has partnered with SMG for our assistance in handling a variety of services such as all the day to day operations of the association. These may include budgeting and preparation of financials, common area maintenance, amenity and vendor management, standards enforcement, Board and Annual meetings and delinquency collections. Duties may also include oversight of common area maintenance and enforcement of and compliance with CCR use rules.

What is an association manager?

An association manager is a company, such as SMG, that is hired and appointed by the Board of Directors to implement approved policies and procedures and provide effective management and guidance for daily administrative, financial, and operational duties of the association.

Who determines amount due for assessment fees?

The amount of individual assessment fees is based on income required to cover the expenditures and maintain sound financial condition for the association. After a comprehensive review and approval of an association annual budget, the Board of Directors will determine if an increase in individual assessment fees will be necessary to meet association needs. The initial assessment may be specified in the Covenant documents.

Can assessment fees be increased?

Yes, requirements for approval of an increase in fees are set forth in the Declaration. Some Declarations provide that a limited percentage increase may be automatically imposed annually without a vote of the membership.

How do I pay fees due the Association?

Association assessment fees (dues) are billed by statement when due and payable. SMG has the ability to accept online payments. Go to https://www.smgmgmt.com/online-payments/. You will need to register if you have not registered for an account.

What is my Association/ bill remittance address?

Association Name
P. O. Box 76697
Atlanta, GA 30358

What is a Special Assessment?

The Association may levy Special Assessments from time to time to cover unbudgeted expenses or expenses in excess of those budgeted. Special Assessments typically must be approved by a majority of the owners within the community. Special Assessments must be levied equally on all Units.

Why is a Special Assessment needed?

There are several possible reasons why the monthly fees may not provide enough to the reserves to cover long-term repairs.

For example:

  • the monthly operating expenses may be higher than expected
  • some homeowners may not pay their monthly HOA dues, or
  • to cover expenses connected to an unexpected catastrophe or natural disaster that causes damage not covered by insurance.
What is a Specific Assessment?

The Board can impose a Specific Assessment against a single unit or group of homeowners for specific costs incurred in bringing the property in compliance with community-wide standards. For example, if a homeowner drives his vehicle into the entrance monument causing damage not covered by insurance, the Board can impose a Specific Assessment to cover the outstanding costs on that homeowner.

How do I change my mailing address?

You can change your mailing address and/or update your contact information by sending written notification, either by e-mail or regular mail. Send to helen@smgmgmt.com or by mail to SMGmanagement of Atlanta; P. O. Box 76697, Atlanta, GA 303589. In your correspondence please indicate the old and new address.

How do I report a name change? (married, deceased, divorced)

SMG will need documentation evidencing the name change (legal document such as pertinent pages of divorce decree, etc.). You may send a copy to helen@smgmgmt.com or via mail to P. O. Box 76697, Atlanta, GA 30358 and your record will be updated.

How do I report a violation?

You may either send an email to helen@smgmgmt.com or call 404-372-8856 to report your concern. The address of the violation location must be included. The information will be investigated but because of confidentiality purposes, no information about the steps that will be or have been taken to address the violation will be released.

Who do I contact if I want to set up a payment plan to pay my past due assessments?

If you need to pay your dues in installments, contact helen@smgmgmt.com or send a request by mail. Include the amount of the installment payments and the time frame for payments to be received.

Who should be contacted about questions about Association?

SMG is responsible for responding to association inquiries and service requests. Responses to requests may be coordinated with Association Board.

What are assessment fees?

Assessment fees (dues) are fees that are imposed upon individual lots by the association in accordance with the governing documents.

Who has authority to approve architectural/landscape changes?

The authority to review and approve modifications is generally delegated to an Architectural Review Committee (“ARC”) or Architectural Control Committee (“ACC”)in accordance with the governing documents.

How do I report an after-hours emergency?

Call 404-372-8856 to report emergency Common Area Maintenance Issues (i.e., gates, pools, irrigation) that require an immediate response after normal hours, including weekends and holidays. Calls regarding payments, violations and other matters will be returned during regular business hours.